Monday, January 24, 2011

Worship and Evangelism

"9 Do not be led away by diverse and strange teachings, for it is good for the heart to be strengthened by grace, not by foods, which have not benefited those devoted to them. 10 We have an altar from which those who serve the tent have no right to eat. 11 For the bodies of those animals whose blood is brought into the holy places by the high priest as a sacrifice for sin are burned outside the camp. 12 So Jesus also suffered outside the gate in order to sanctify the people through his own blood. 13 Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured. 14 For here we have no lasting city, but we seek the city that is to come. 15 Through him then let us continually offer up a sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of lips that acknowledge his name."

Hebrews 13:9-15

Pastor Todd Murray taught us on this passage of scripture this past sunday during equipping hour. He taught on the relationship between worship and evangelism. Too often people think of worship just as singing hymns on sunday morning. We try to label it and try to use forced concentration to worship during that time. We also argue about style. We are so fixed on whether we should play modern or classical. This is especially true of those who grow up Christian. Why are we having to try so hard to worship? Because we aren't evangelistic.

We aren't evangelistic because we like to sit comfortably. Trying to be moral Christians, having all Christian friends, during the week and just going to church on sunday will ruin worship. When we sit comfortably, we become lazy and have no visible "need" to worship. So we struggle through it.

Notice verse 12:
"So Jesus also suffered outside the gate in order to sanctify the people through his own blood."

Jesus went to those outside the "gate" of Israel, which means he went to non-believers; the sick who needed a physician. This is Christ's work on the cross providing salvation for all who believe, and at this point it was extended past Jews to all ethnicities. Jesus spend most of his ministry with believers. He chose his disciples and then went to those who needed him.

Now look at verse 13:
"Therefore let us go to him outside the camp and bear the reproach he endured."

We are to follow him and go to the non-believers. He are to spend time with the sinners and tax-collectors of our day and show them the love of Christ. This won't be easy as the second part of the verse says. We will have to endure the hardships that come because of dealing with sinful people. But we have to remember what is said in the previous verse; that Christ did the same for us, the "Christian" people.

When we follow Christ's command and evangelize the lost, we will become tired and weary. We should exhaust ourselves spiritually for Christ. That is why Christ has set apart one day to dedicate completely to him. So we can refuel. And when we exhaust ourselves for Christ, it no longer becomes a struggle to worship Christ, especially corporately.

When we come to church after exhausting ourselves for Christ, we won't care about style. we won't be as easily distracted either. We will come weary and broken saying, "Let's sing and talk about and worship Jesus!" It will be a time to replenish ourselves so that we can go out again and share the news about our Lord!

This convicts me in two ways. First, I'm not exhausting myself for Christ. Do I come starving for corporate worship? Am I so investing in unbelievers that when I am in the Word and around God-focused believers I want to praise Him and worship Him? Sadly, I do not.

Second, I am not accurately worshipping God. Do I look to sunday as the highlight of my week? Is it a day where I can refuel myself spiritually? Do I look at time in the Word and time spent with believers as blessed time from God? Is worshipping God the life source of my starving soul? Again, I do not. I prefer to sit comfortably in my Christian world with my Christian friends not doing worldly things (notice I didn't say "doing Christian things" because if we were to do the Christian thing we would follow Christ). This is a wrong lifestyle. It is not a lifestyle of obedience, but thankfully Christ forgives us and gives us another chance.

Lord, I pray that you would help me in my worship. Help me to exhaust myself for you. I want to be weary of this world by evangelizing you to the lost. I want to come to your house craving for worship not fighting to concentrate on worshipping you. I praise you for sending your Son to save us. I also praise him for being an example of how we are to live. Please break my lazy lifestyle and fill it with a lifestyle burning to share the good news about salvation. I want to give you the worship you deserve and I want to desire to worship. Worship is not a duty, so help me not to view it that way. I pray this all in the name of your Son, Jesus Christ. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, thank you so much! It is always encouraging to read from like-minded people all over the country! I just wrote a similar blog post a few days ago: New beginnings on www.caseycurrin.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete